As we begin to prepare for the new school year in the fall, I’m reaching out on behalf of the Pathway to Stewardship and Kinship to see if you’re interested in submitting an application to provide programming for local children and/or youth. We’re grateful for support from the Ontario Trillium Foundation, which allows us to share fee-for-service subsidies with local individuals and groups to help involve more children in ‘Landmark’ activities.
The Pathway Project is based on 30 Landmarks that span a child’s development from birth through the late teens. These Landmarks are a step-by-step approach to fostering lifelong connections to nature and community, while developing skills in stewardship and leadership. As well, Landmark experiences help children improve physical and mental health, while building vibrant communities and a healthy environment. A summary of the Pathway Landmarks and corresponding age groups is attached; more Landmark details are on our website.
Does your work involve ‘Landmark’ activities with children and youth? Would you appreciate support to expand your outreach?
We can offer funding to support costs if you can provide Landmark-linked programs in local schools or early learning centres. (Schools and EL centres themselves are not eligible to apply.)
Criteria for Consideration:
- Ability to offer unique programs for a Landmark activity not readily available elsewhere
- Ability to engage large numbers of children or youth (although some proposals for shorter-term programs with smaller groups may also be considered)
- Ability to provide a high-quality experience for children or youth
- Funding support will enable you to deliver the program free of charge to participants
- Proposed activities are not existing services that your organization regularly offers, which already have existing secure funding
- Ability to market your Pathway activity through existing networks
- Ability to involve students in hands-on community improvement projects is not required,but will be considered an asset (projects should have an environmental, health or social justice focus)
- While individual organizations may focus their activities on specific age groups, we aim to include a range of target ages when selecting recipients for funding support
- Ability to provide an up-to-date Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check (prior to beginning your project, if approved)
How We Can Help:
- We can offer up to $6,500 in staffing costs to an average of 8 regional proposals
- Potential to contribute towards materials costs for supplies such as plants, outdoor art supplies and creative play materials
- Promotion of the services offered by your organization
How to Apply:
Please submit a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Tuesday, August 31, 2021.
In your letter, include:
1. A detailed description of the activity or experience you propose to offer
2. Which specific Landmark(s)your program will address
3. The number of children you will involve
4. Who is your intended audience (schools,families,earlylearningcentres,others?)
5. The target age range of children or youth
6. The time frame of your project (ongoing or seasonal)
7. A brief description of how you plan to recruit participants
8. Your staffing costs (# of hours, wage, # of people)
9. Materials costs (if applicable)
10.While we hope Covid restrictions will ease next year, explain whether you could adapt your program for virtual delivery if needed
For the upcoming year, the project year-end will be August 31, 2022 (proposed activities must be complete and documented by the end of August next year).
In the past year, successful community partnerships have involved a total of 7500 children and 500 adults in Landmark-related activities which have resulted in an incredible 14,000 individual experiences for regional children and youth! What an impact we can have when we work together! What’s more, when these experiences are reported on the Pathway website, ideas can be shared with others to inspire even more parents and teachers to get involved.
Whether or not we’re able to offer you financial support this year, we applaud the important work you do in our region, and look forward to continuing to work in partnership for the wellbeing of all children and youth. Contact Cathy Dueck, Pathway Coordinator, at email@example.com with any questions.